ALBEROBELLO

The trulli have been the subject of numerous awards.
Already in 1910 the government issued a decree to elect National Monument Rione Monte.
In 1930 it was elevated to national monument also Aia Piccola.
Thanks to these government regulations monuments have been protected and preserved.
During the second term of ‘Panarese Administration, after a long preparatory path of deeds and surveys of emiriti architects in charge by UNESCO to assess and approve the candidacy of Alberobello for inclusion in the world Heritage List, came the favorable response. The Intergovernmental Conference, meeting in Merida in Mexico, in fact, on December 5, 1996, as part of the 20 ^ Session of the World Committee of UNESCO, declared: “The Trulli of Alberobello”, gathered in an urban area, a World Heritage Site, decreeing the inclusion in the WORLD HERITAGE LIST, for the following reasons: “exceptional type, continuity of population, survival of a constructive culture of prehistoric origin …”

 

HOUSE OF LOVE

According to a well-established tradition, on June 22, 1797, as he was elected the first mayor, Francesco D’Amore began to build this house, the first officially terracotta, namely with the use of mortar.

With his dispatch, in fact, the King decreed that alberobellesi could build houses in the way most comfortable to them, without being impeded by the Count of Conversano. The event was further evidenced by the small inscription, placed under the arch that marks the balcony area, which contains the following inscription: EX auctoritate DIRECTOR – HOC PRIMUM
erectum – AD 1797.

Its location, in the Piazza Ferdinando IV of Bourbon, is not accidental. It, in fact, with its first floor was perfectly visible from the nearby residence of Conti. This structure represents a real technical-constructive passage from the first to the nineteenth-century trullo houses housing. In fact, the facade lets imagine the presence of interior rooms very different from those that actually are.

The access room, instead of the usual stone cone, has a stellar vault. All other environments do not differ much from those of the trulli houses that surrounded the house. The only element of apparent uniqueness, if one excludes the use of mortar, it is the raised floor accessible externally via a ladder. This consists of three narrow tapered environments, placed on different levels. At the first compartment, determined by a wider trullo, it follows a small conical environment, which was originally connected to the ground through a trapdoor. The last of these premises, which rests on the vaulted ceilings of the underlying main compartment, allows the facing to the balcony.

Most likely, for the construction of the house, Francesco D’Amore interpellated a simple caseddaro (mason), used to build or restore trulli.

This does not surprise us since, even in 1843, by the City Council minutes show that there was a local architect who could serve on the committee in charge of the care of the new buildings that were regular and not unpleasant architecture unless you do not want architect define one of the unfortunate masons or trullari. National Monument since 1930, restored in 19951, Casa D’Amore currently houses the Department of Tourism.

 

 

SIAMESE TRULLI

Along the staircase of Via Monte Nero, you will come across this ancient dwelling, built on a rock outcropping. It presents a stepped, no window structure, the foundations of which are constituted by large boulders just blanks.

The Siamese trulli, particularly for their “double form”, have two inputs, one for the cone, which overlook on different roads. Although within the distinction between various compartments, once put into communication by a small door, outside the coverage is presented insellata, it is having been filled in the recess between the two cones.

This characteristic, absent in recent trulli, further confirms the antiquity of the building. Many attribute the origin of his particular form to a popular legend.

 

 

CHURCH OF ST. ANTHONY

The church, which dominates with its mass Monti, was erected in just fourteen months, on land donated by a benefactor, designed by Martino De Leonardis (1880-1969). The initial idea was only partially followed, as the next engineer intervention Master of Bari Bianchi.

The building was opened for worship on June 13, 1927. The first treasurer cured, appointed in 1946, was the founder Sac. Antonio Lippolis that, in 1952, donated to the Institute of the Servants of Charity of don Luigi Guanella a house built in trulli, with adjoining gardens, to increase the works of assistance. That same year, the Fathers took possession of the church, declared a new parish.

The façade of the building is divided into three parts. The middle one, spire, shows great splayed arch in which the access portal is inserted. The church has greca7 cross centrally presents a “trulli” coverage, ending with a square base skylight. The four central pillars hold round arches, on which supports the lateral times.

In the existing structure, then, he was joined the seminar, which became blind in one side of the bell tower.

 

 

WAR MEMORIAL

Raised in Piazza del Popolo, formerly Victory Square, the monument to the fallen of World War I, it was solemnly inaugurated on 27 May 1923.

On the four marble slabs, at the base of the obelisk, they were listed the names of the fallen and the words of the time Mayor. Although made in this period by the sculptor Bari G. Laricchia , this sleek monolithic monument was designed by architect Antonio Curri since 1897, so that it was erected to celebrate the first anniversary of liberation from feudalism of Alberobello.

Because of financial difficulties and new laws, it was decided to postpone to another epoch his erection.

The design remained closed in the archives until 1919, when it was used, although not faithfully followed, to the current destination.

 

 

SOVEREIGN TRULLO

National Monument since 1930, this impressive building, so named since 1916, is located in Piazza Sacramento, behind the Basilica of SS. Doctors.

The local historian Notarnicola informs us that he was called by papa Cataldo the Court because it possessed and probably built by the priest Cataldo Perta family (1744-1809), who used it as his residence , while in the surrounding trulli dwelt employees.

A notarial document, dated April 15, 1797, witnesses a dispute between some Petruzzi, representative of the Count of Conversano, and some Alberobello, including Perta. Cause trigger were the changes made to his home, does not comply with the rules established by the Acquaviva. The act generally speaks of the perspective of the door , not focusing explicitly on the building of two levels or more changes within the existing structure. The act of liberation of 27 May blocked the situation, avoiding the felling risk.
Over the centuries the Sovereign Trullo has been used not only as a dwelling, even as apothecary and chapel. In 1785, in fact, it housed the relics of Sts. Cosmas and Damian, brought by the same don Cataldo Perta from Rome. From 1823 to 1837 he held his oratory the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament.
The Trullo Sovereign represents the maximum design capacity achieved for the trullo constructions and, at the same time, opens the new constructive phase “baked,” namely with the use of mortar. Built by an unnamed manufacturer, it has an input patron facing south, inserted into a large gabled facade, and consists of an arc whose bezel is painted a scene of Calvary, due to the early nineteenth century. Two peepholes, to the side of the door, served both to recognize a guest be welcome both to hit with a shot an attacker. Inside, past the small bedroom on the left, you enter the bay d ‘ entrance, covered by a cross vault, supported by a series of small arches, leaning against two walls perimeter. These arcs neutralize the lateral thrust of the vault and downloading the weight of the structure on the retaining walls. From this room it leads to the large kitchen, communicating with the garden. A door on the left leads to the premises that constitute the first housing nucleus, around which has been built up throughout the rest of the structure. On the vault of the set access room the trullo coverage, the volume of which constitutes the first floor, used as a guest room or a place designed for weaving. The scale, which leads to this environment, has been formed in the wall thickness.
The Sovereign Trullo, equipped with several inputs, was composed, before the recent dismemberment, twelve environments. These supplied housing considerable receptivity. The space of these compartments was further extended by the opening of niches and cabinets that, formed in the thickness of the wall and fitted with shelves, once walled, they became hiding places particularly useful during the period of brigandage. Restored in 1993, the Sovereign Trullo, privately owned, is currently used as an exhibition space for temporary exhibitions or cultural events.

 

 

AIA PICCOLA

National Monument since 1930, this district, declared a UNESCO Heritage Site, located on the south-east of Alberobello, separated from Rione Monti from Largo delle Fogge, the early nineteenth century had four trulli, which looked out on eight small streets, inhabited by about 1300 inhabitants. His name, as we read in the local historian Notarnicola, comes from the fact that, in its extreme eastern edge, (…) It contained, in sec. XVIII, small un’aja in contrast to a large, existing in Piazza delle Erbe (…). The small Hague was built when, with the growth of crops (and also assumed the population and cultivated land) the large yard had become insufficient for the agricultural needs. Consequently, the part of the country that extended from that side, named after particular that important (…). In the neighborhood there were also small Aja: the Court of Giangiacomo (…) and that of Pozzo Contino (…).

The Courts were composed of an open space or courtyard, surrounded by a wall, which went before the house itself. On this hall it looked out employers’ homes and those of employees, accessed by a large gate. They were a kind of urban farms.
Currently the Aia Piccola is the only area not affected by commercial activities. Here you can discover picturesque spots that bear witness to the appearance that much of the country had to have a few decades ago.
Along Via Duca degli Abruzzi, G. Verdi, C. Colombo, G. Galilei and La Marmora, each trullo other diversifies by type. The projections, squares and numerous alleys, many of whom do not driveways, create particular perspectives.

 

 

RIONE MONTI

This quarter, declared a UNESCO Heritage Site, which is located on the hill south of the country, with over one thousand trulli and is intersected by fifteen streets.

The whole area was built on the side of the hill close to Largo Martellotta (so named for its three tanks dug in the nineteenth century, for the collection of rainwater).

The houses, many of which are now used for commercial purposes, they are lined up along eight parallel streets (Via Monte Nero, Via Monte San Marco, Via Monte S. Gabriele, Via Monte S. Michele, Via Monte Sabotino, Via Monte Santo, Via Monte Adamello, Via Cadore) that cut longitudinally the urban fabric. Details are Via Monte Nero, Via Monte Pasubio, Via Monte S. Michele and Via Monte Sabotino, along which there are the most ancient dwellings. To these, in some cases, they are complemented by cooked nineteenth dressing with lime, equipped with windows and balconies that enhance the living quarters.

They date back to 1843, the “urban and rural police regulations” prohibiting the alberobellesi to build dry as before it was practiced. This provision was observed in all the streets of the country, except in the road Monti, being inhabited by the poor, it would be exempt. This particular condition of poverty and the aforementioned regulation have ensured the maintenance and substantial conservation of the entire urban fabric that, prior to definitive closure of traditional construction technique, counted at least two thousand trulli.
By Royal Decree of 1910 the entire district was declared a National Monument for the following reasons:

The Monti area (…), outstanding for its trulli buildings, should not further be marred by building
modern that could change the characteristic curve of the landscape, as it has important public interest and is therefore subject to the provisions of (…) for the protection of antiquities and fine arts.

In 1923 the City Council decided to affix a plaque on a house facade, located at the beginning of Via Monte S. Gabriel, who remembered the visit of Umberto II, and in his honor named the area Zona Monumental Principe di Piemonte.

 

 

TERRITORY MUSEUM FORMER HOUSE PEZZOLLA

National Monument since 1930, the ancient residence, restored, now houses the Museum of the Territory. And ‘situated between Piazza and Piazza M. Pagano May 27, near the monumental zone Hague Small.
The set is made up of quite different trullo structures between them and aggregated in different historical periods. The oldest part, made up of simple and small building structures, overlooking Piazza M. Pagano. It consists mostly of single-celled structures, with focarili and alcoves, which exhibit a backward type of construction, characterized by walls built with non-hewn stones, placed roughly and without any binder. While inside are perfectly distinguishable different environments, the cover presents a saddle back. The vertices of the trulli, in practice, they have been joined by bridging the loop between the cones. To this core were aggregated, at successive times, more accurate construction and the two-storey building. This part of the structure has a particular typological articulation, given that presents itself as a succession of large rooms that are followed from the square to the rear garden. It is not, in other words, the typical structure of the building trulli homes. The perimeter wall is formed by square stones, regular and well-arranged.
Even the two-story building, covered in trulli and flashing, overlooking Piazza May 27, it is unusual for Alberobello. The conversation has been realized in the most in view, facing the square, perhaps because it is considered a constructive element provided with greater dignity compared to backwaters trulli. This house was owned by the doctor Giacomo Pezzolla, accused in a deed dated April 15, 1797, he built a small loggia, changing the look of his home and in contravention of Conte.
The historical events that followed May 27 of that year provided the resolution to the issue and avoided the risk reduction.
The prospect of this building is particularly accurate and equipped with discrete decorative elements: a stone cornice designs the perimeter of the pediment and the lintels of the window and the door is adorned with late-eighteenth-century motifs. The balcony, carved stone, closes the first-floor window.
Placing himself from the back entrance of the museum can be observed, on the left side of the square, the dei Conti barns, which are also covered in conversing. Here the peasants were forced to break the wheat and to the piling to be delivered in the collected tithes, controlled by strict guardians.
Also in Piazza May 27, called delle Erbe, it took place the weekly market set up by Ferdinand II in 1855.